Your website isn’t just a digital version of a brochure or business card. It’s a digital representation of your business. And just like a physical business, a well-maintained website is the first step toward success.
If you have a WordPress website and aren’t doing maintenance, you’re either on a very low budget or you simply don’t understand the importance of website maintenance.
Performing WordPress website maintenance is an essential part of running your business. This is because it keeps your website running smoothly and reliably.
Without maintenance, your site will be more prone to site issues such as 404 pages not showing, slow page loads, security issues, and more.
For those of you who don’t want to do this on your own or don’t know how to do it at all (don’t worry; there are plenty of other people in the same position), hiring a firm like Barefoot Design Collective to maintain your website for you can be a great investment in your business. You can check out our WordPress Care Packages here. Your site is important so make sure it performs well!
What Exactly Is WordPress Website Maintenance and Why Is It Important?
What Is Website Maintenance?
Website maintenance is all about checking your website for issues and keeping it up to date and secure. Updating your website consistently will help to keep your website in tip-top shape.
Companies of all sizes need to have an attractive and properly maintained website to get and keep customers. As entrepreneurs, it’s so easy to look for ways to cut corners and let a few tasks slide, but this is not one of those areas where you should let this happen.
Just like your health can deteriorate if you go too long between checkups, so can the health of your website. Regular website monitoring is a must to keep your business running smoothly.
How do I maintain my website?
There is a pretty good to-do list to keep your WordPress website running smoothly. The most important of these are security updates and patches. Your website can be a hazard to those who visit it if these updates are not done in a timely manner.
To help you get started, here is a list of website maintenance tasks that should be completed regularly:
Weekly website maintenance to-do
- Back up your website and database. If you update your site frequently or are currently building your site out, we usually recommend doing a daily backup.
- Check for updates to WordPress core, theme, then plugins
- Remove spam comments and trash any post drafts or revisions that you don’t need
- Check for and fix broken links on your website
- Fix and/or redirect 404 errors
- Clear out any plugins and themes you do not need. Do not leave inactive plugins in the back end of your site.
Monthly website maintenance to-do
- Review your security scans and make sure everything is safe and secure
- Use Google Page Speed Insights or GTMetrix to check your site speed. (Check this article on GTMetrix that discusses the differences between the different page speed tools)
- Review your Site Analytics from the previous month and see what you could do differently to improve your website traffic
Quarterly website maintenance to-do
- Take a look at your website structure and design. Are there any improvements to be made?
- Update your SEO titles and meta descriptions to ensure they are as effective as possible
- Test and tweak forms, popups, and calls to action (CTAs)
- Review your processes and see if anything can be automated
Yearly website maintenance to-do
- Pull up your website on different devices and browsers to see if it displays correctly
- Update your copyright year in your footer to the current year
- Go through your site page by page and check for accuracy, spelling, grammar, and content relevancy
- How does your site look? Is it time for a redesign?
- Take a look at your top-performing posts and see if they can be updated with new content
Why You Should Care About WordPress Maintenance
Your website is not just a digital version of a brochure or business card. If you don’t have a good, well-maintained site, it can lead to various problems that will affect your online presence and lead to lost clients.
You might think it’s not worth the hassle because you just need to do some updates every once in a while, but this isn’t the case at all.
There are many tasks that need to be performed on a regular basis in order to keep up with changes and security issues that crop up.
As you can see, website maintenance is important and needs to be done consistently. If not done correctly or consistently, you could have some serious problems with your site that affect your business success.
When it comes to WordPress website maintenance, there really isn’t an excuse for not doing it. You can do this by yourself or hire a professional company to do it for you. Either way, making sure your site is well-maintained is essential for your business and should be done as often as possible.